Green beans are baked in a rich sauce of mozzarella cheese, cottage cheese and milk, and topped with a seasoned bread crumb crust.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (9 ounce) packages frozen green beans, thawed
- 2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, saute onion until translucent. Stir in flour, milk, mozzarella cheese, cottage cheese, sugar and salt; cook, stirring, until thickened.
Place green beans in a 9x13 inch baking dish; pour cheese sauce over green beans.
In a small bowl combine bread crumbs and egg. Spread over green beans.
Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes.