Onions and celery sauteed in butter, cooked potatoes and processed cheese are combined in this creamy soup made with processed cheese and thickened with flour.
INGREDIENTS (for 9 servings):
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 4 cups water
- 8 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 15 slices American cheese - broken into pieces
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/3 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Saute the onions and celery in the butter for 5 to 10 minutes, or until tender.
Stir in the water and potatoes, bring to a boil and then simmer until the potatoes are tender. Add the cheese and stir until melted.
In a separate small bowl, combine the flour and the milk and stir well until the flour is mostly dissolved. Pour this into the soup slowly, stirring constantly, until soup has thickened, about 5 minutes. Garnish with the parsley.