An unusual blend of flavors come together seamlessly in this chicken dish. Chicken pieces are fried with green pepper, garlic, and onions; then everything is simmered with sweet vermouth and cranberry sauce.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (2.5 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons sweet vermouth
- 1 (8 ounce) can whole cranberry sauce
- salt and black pepper to taste
Pour oil into a large skillet over medium heat. Place chicken pieces in the skillet, and cook until golden on all sides, about 10 minutes. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of oil. Stir in green peppers, garlic, and onions; cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Pour vermouth into skillet. Stir in cranberry sauce, salt, and pepper. Cover, and simmer 25 minutes.