Chicken, fennel and crimini mushrooms in a tangy broth of buttermilk has a lasting effect on your tastebuds.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cream sherry
- 1 1/2 cups sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken soup base
Heat oil and butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Brown chicken on both sides then reduce heat to medium. Add lemon pepper, fennel and cream sherry. Simmer until chicken is cooked through but not dry. When chicken is cooked, remove it from the pan and set aside to cool.
While chicken is cooling, add mushrooms, red pepper, parsley, buttermilk, half and half, water and chicken soup base; stir. Tear chicken into bite sized pieces and return them to the soup. Heat until warmed through but do not boil, mushrooms and peppers should still be firm.