Navy beans and chicken are combined in a broth seasoned with cumin, oregano and jalapeno in this soup to serve garnished with grated jack cheese and chopped green onion.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried navy beans
- 4 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 5 cups chopped, cooked chicken meat
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chile peppers
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
Sort and wash beans. Place beans, broth, onion, garlic, black pepper, oregano, cumin, and ground cloves in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 2 hours.
Stir in chicken, chilies, water, salt, and jalapeno. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour; stirring often.