Corn meal can be added as a thickener in the final step of this recipe for chicken and cannellini bean chili seasoned with chili powder, cumin and oregano.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast meat - finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1/4 cup cornmeal (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
In a large stock pot, saute chicken, olive oil, onion, garlic, red bell pepper and yellow bell pepper, until vegetables start to soften.
Add chili powder, cumin and oregano. Cook on medium for 3 minutes. Add chicken broth, beans and green chilies and continue to cook on medium low for 5 to 10 minutes.
If you want to thicken soup, mix cornmeal with a little water to form a paste and add to chili. Season with salt, pepper and hot sauce and serve.