Don't let the color scare you! It's bright green! This is an extremely easy and tasty family recipe. Variations can definitely be made to taste...sometimes I use chicken (boneless or not) sometimes I use shrimp...sometimes I use both. My family makes it w
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - chopped
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 head garlic
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can hominy, drained
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat, and saute the onion until tender. Place the chicken in the pot, and cook until lightly browned.
Puree the cilantro, garlic, and 1/3 cup water in a blender or food processor. Mix into the pot with the chicken and onions. Cook and stir about 5 minutes, until mixed and heated through. Pour enough water into the pot to cover all ingredients.
Mix the hominy, rice, and bouillon into the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, or until rice is tender. Increase the amount of water as needed to attain desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper.