A simple stove top meal with all of the stick-to-your-ribs essentials. Chicken and potatoes simmer on the stovetop then are mixed with green peas to create a one dish masterpiece.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 (3 pound) whole chickens, cut into pieces
- 2 onion, peeled and sliced into rings
- 6 baking potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans fat-free chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen green peas
Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven, over medium-high heat. Briefly brown chicken pieces in batches. When all of the pieces have been browned, return them all to the pot and cover with a layer of sliced onions, and then potatoes. Season with pepper and sprinkle with parsley. Pour the chicken broth over all.
Cover and simmer on low heat for 45 minutes, pushing potatoes down into the liquid occasionally. When potatoes are tender but not mushy, add frozen peas and simmer for 5 more minutes.