Fried chicken gone to finishing school, as a basil-Parmesan sauce brings a mainstay dish to a new level.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 (4 ounce) jar sliced pimento peppers, drained
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Place milk and bread crumbs in separate, shallow bowls. In skillet, heat butter or margarine to medium heat. Dip chicken in milk, then coat with crumbs. Cook in butter or margarine, on both sides, until juices run clear (about 10 minutes). Remove and keep warm.
Add broth to skillet. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and stir to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in cream and pimentos; boil and stir for 1 minute. Reduce heat.
Add Parmesan cheese, basil and pepper. Stir sauce and cook until heated through. Pour mixture over chicken and serve!