This is a popular Pakistani dish. This is a quick and tasty way to use leftover roast chicken. The sauce can also be used for any cooked poultry, lamb, or beef.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound chopped cooked chicken
- salt to taste
- 4 sprigs fresh cilantro, for garnish
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and cook and stir the onion and garlic until tender. Mix in the tomato paste, tomatoes, and vinegar. Season with turmeric, cumin, coriander, chili powder, and garam masala. Continue to cook and stir until blended and heated through, about 10 minutes.
Mix the red bell pepper and chicken into the skillet. Reduce heat, and simmer 6 to 8 minutes, until chicken is heated through. Season with salt. Garnish with cilantro sprigs to serve.