Prepare this flavorful Indian korma in less than hour: very little prep is required beyond the measuring of spices, and the slicing of onions. Cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, and cardamom seeds enhance the flavor of the oil in which the onions and chicken
INGREDIENTS (for 2 servings):
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 (2 inch) cinnamon sticks
- 10 whole cloves
- 10 cardamom seeds
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (6 ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook cinnamon sticks, cloves, and cardamom seeds in hot oil for three minutes. Stir in onion and garlic, and cook until soft. Cut each chicken breast half into 4 pieces, and add to skillet; cook for about 5 to 8 minutes.
Season with salt, red pepper flakes, coriander, and cumin. Stir in the tomato sauce and water. Continue cooking for 10 minutes.
Stir in buttermilk, and cook for 5 to 8 minutes. Just before serving, mix in the parsley.