Spicy and succulent, this dish features a chili and red wine vinaigrette gravy, plus a 'magic' ingredient, brandy, that really makes the meal.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 pound chicken livers, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon brandy
Place chicken livers in a large bowl, and pour in 3 tablespoons olive oil, vinegar, and lemon juice; season with garlic, cumin, coriander, chili flakes, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Stir together, and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
Remove livers to a bowl, and reserve marinade.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion, and cook until tender, about 7 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high, and stir in chicken livers; cook for 2 minutes, being careful not to overcook the livers. Stir in the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, chicken stock, and the reserved marinade. Simmer gently for 5 minutes. Pour in brandy, and heat through.