Pan seared chicken breasts are simmered in chicken stock with potatoes, olives, green peas, and herbs. A nice twist of a chicken dish that goes great with crusty French bread.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 6 (6 ounce) boned, skinned chicken breast halves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 cup pitted ripe olives, drained
- 1 cup pimiento-stuffed green olives, drained
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed and drained
- 1 cup chicken stock or canned low-salt broth
- 3 medium potatoes - peeled and cubed
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen green peas, thawed and drained
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- salt and pepper to taste
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook chicken breasts, turning occasionally and reducing heat when necessary, 5 minutes per side, or until no longer pink in center and juices run clear.
Add thyme, rosemary, garlic, black and green olives, mushrooms, pearl onions, and chicken stock to the skillet. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until chicken is to desired tenderness. Stir in potatoes, peas, and wine. Cover and continue simmering another 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until potatoes are tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.