Cilantro, pineapple, and fajita seasoning give fresh flavor to the traditional chicken salad. Serve on slices of whole wheat bread with lettuce and cucumbers.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 3 eggs
- 1 red apple, diced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks, juice reserved
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon dry fajita seasoning
- 1 medium cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 head green leaf lettuce, rinsed
- 24 slices SARA LEE® Soft & Smooth™ Whole Grain White Bread
Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Cover and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool, peel and slice.
Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink inside, approximately 20 minutes. Drain, cool and chop.
In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, sliced eggs, apple, onions, relish, mayonnaise, celery, pineapple (with just a little juice for flavor), cilantro, pecans and fajita seasoning.
Divide chicken salad equally onto 12 slices of bread. Top with sliced cucumber, and remaining bread slices.
The original recipe, Chicken Salad II, was submitted by Ron, and contains 452 calories, 14.4 g fat, 109 mg cholesterol, 745 mg sodium, 57.4 g carbohydrates, 12.2 g fiber, and 24.5 g protein.