Pistou is a bean and vegetable stew which originated in Provence. Pre-made Italian pesto is more widely known in the U.S. and is used in this recipe in lieu of a pistou, pesto 's French counterpart.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 large potato, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 1/4 cup pesto
Place the olive oil in a large saucepan and heat over medium-high heat until hot. Add chicken; cook and stir about 5 minutes or until chicken is browned. Add onion; cook and stir 2 minutes.
Add chicken broth, undrained tomatoes, northern beans, carrots, potato, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring to break up tomatoes. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add green beans and cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Ladle soup into bowls, top each with 1 teaspoon pesto and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.