A chicken soup with a Southwestern flair - this one includes black beans and corn, and is seasoned with cumin, chili powder, and fresh cilantro. Serve with Monterey Jack cheese and fresh lime wedges.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 recipe Fast Chicken Soup Base
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- tortilla chips
- grated Monterey Jack cheese
- fresh lime wedges
Prepare Fast Chicken Soup Base. Bring to a simmer.
Add these, then simmer until tender, 10-20 minutes: 2 16-ounce cans black beans, drained; 1 10-ounce package frozen corn; 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes; 1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded and minced; 2 Tbs. ground cumin; 2 tsps. chili powder.
Before removing from heat, stir in: 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro.
Final touch: Add salt and pepper, to taste. Serve soup with tortilla chips, grated Monterey Jack cheese and fresh lime wedges.
This recipe was originally featured in the USA WEEKEND article Soup Up Your Chicken Soup on February 23, 2003.
Find the Perfect Recipe from Pam Anderson.Copyright 2004 USA WEEKEND and columnist Pam Anderson. All rights reserved.