Made in a slow cooker, this sweet and savory stew is seasoned with allspice, ginger and hot pepper sauce and thickened with a corn starch and pineapple juice thickener.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into cubes
- 4 cups carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks, juice reserved
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
Mix chicken, carrots, broth, ginger root, brown sugar, soy sauce, allspice and pepper sauce in 1 1/2- to 4-quart crock pot slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat setting 7 to 8 hours or until vegetables are tender and chicken is no longer pink in center.
Mix cornstarch and reserved pineapple juice; gradually stir into chicken mixture. Stir in pineapple and bell pepper. Cover and cook on high heat setting about 15 minutes longer or until slightly thickened and bubbly.