A hearty gumbo that's packed with vegetables. The sausage, bacon and rice are sure to satisfy the biggest appetite.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 pound bacon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 8 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound smoked sausage of your choice, sliced
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 2 quarts water
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen okra, thawed and sliced
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce, or to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Place six slices of the bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Set aside the cooked bacon and reserve 1/2 cup of the grease in the skillet. Whisk in the flour and vegetable oil until smooth. Stir in the celery, bell pepper, garlic, parsley and onion. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring constantly.
Transfer the sauce to a large stockpot or Dutch oven. Add the sliced sausage and cook for 8 more minutes. Slice remaining raw bacon and crumble the cooked bacon; add to the pot. Stir in the chicken stock and water until well blended with the gravy mixture. Add the tomatoes and okra. Season with Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce, bay leaves, and cayenne pepper. Simmer uncovered for 2 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Add the rice and cook for an additional 30 minutes, until thick. Stir in the brown sugar and lemon juice. This tastes great served over more rice.