I wanted something like the traditional beef stroganoff and threw this one together, writing down everything as I went so I wouldn't forget. I served with noodles, but rice would be great, too. Asparagus for a vegetable and a green or fruit salad is grea
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 cups all-purpose flour for coating
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 1/4 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/8 cup chopped green onion for topping (optional)
In a shallow dish or bowl, season flour with salt and pepper to taste. Dredge chicken in seasoned flour to coat. In a large skillet, brown coated chicken in melted butter or margarine until golden.
In a medium bowl combine the soup, half-and-half, dry onion soup mix, parsley, garlic, mushrooms, nutmeg and browning sauce. Mix all together and pour mixture over chicken in skillet. Reduce heat to low and let simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
Stir in sour cream and heat through, but DO NOT BOIL! Top with chopped green onion and serve over noodles or rice, if desired.