Alternating layers of tortillas, chicken and a tangy green chile cream sauce (easily made with canned soups), and oozing with melted Cheddar cheese.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 2 cups cooked, boneless and skinless chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 tablespoons chicken stock
- 9 (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
- 1 onion, shredded
- 8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
In a bowl, mix soups, milk, salsa, and onion.
Put 3 to 4 tablespoons of chicken stock in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Add a layer of tortilla strips, and then a layer of chicken. Pour soup mixture over chicken and tortillas. Continue to layer in this order until dish is full. Top with cheese. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
Bake at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.