Lemon juice brightens the flavors in this chicken, corn and salsa soup seasoned with cumin and chili powder. Garnish with tortilla chips, grated cheese and a dollop of sour cream.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 8 ounces corn tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (optional)
In a large pot over medium heat, saute the chicken in the oil for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cumin and mix well. Then add the broth, corn, onion, chili powder, lemon juice and salsa. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes.
Break up some tortilla chips into individual bowls and pour soup over chips. Top with the Monterey Jack cheese and a little sour cream.