Served on a bed of rice, perfect for soaking up the delectable mushroom sauce. Colorful green pepper and pimento accents make for a suitable Christmas entree.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked, diced chicken breast meat
- 1 (4 ounce) jar sliced pimento peppers, drained
- 3 cups cooked white rice
Melt the butter or margarine in a 3 quart saucepan over medium high heat. Saute the bell pepper and mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until the bell pepper is crisp yet tender.
Stir in the flour, salt and pepper and saute over medium heat, stirring constantly, until bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in the milk and broth. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the chicken and pimentos and cook until hot. Serve over the rice.