This hearty soup is a great 'warm you upper' for a cold winter night! Served with fresh grated Romano cheese and oven warm Italian bread, it's a hit any night of the week. Mangia!
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1 (11 ounce) can whole kernel corn, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained
- 4 cups cooked chicken meat
- 10 large fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add orzo pasta and cook for 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the olive oil and saute the onion and garlic until tender. Pour in the chicken broth and sherry, and mix in corn with liquid, artichokes, cooked chicken, and mushrooms. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper. Cook and stir until heated through, about 10 minutes.
Mix the spinach, tomatoes, and cooked orzo into the saucepan. Continue to cook and stir about 10 minutes, until blended and heated through.