Bite-sized bits of sauteed chicken meld with the fresh flavors of tomatoes and broccoli. Onion, garlic and oregano add earthy tones to the sauce. Toss with penne and a zesty handful of chopped fresh basil.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 18 ounces pasta
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
In a large skillet over medium heat, warm oil and add chicken; cook until slightly brown. Add onion and garlic to cook for about 5 minutes or until garlic is golden and onions are translucent.
Add tomatoes, broccoli, salt and pepper and oregano; stir well and bring to a boil. Cover and turn down heat to simmer for about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain and add back into pot. Pour chicken sauce into pot and mix well.
Add basil and toss well; top with Parmesan cheese. Serve.