A potent saute of chicken with spicy sausage, tomatoes and herbs over pasta. This recipe is just the start--do not hesitate to add more vegetables, or substitute rice for the noodles.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 pound uncooked penne pasta
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 pound spicy italian turkey sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (12 ounce) package dried penne pasta
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
Wash chicken breasts and cut into large bite size pieces. Remove casing from sausage and cut into large pieces. In a large, deep skillet over medium low heat, put oil and garlic and saute to flavor oil. Remove garlic from oil.
Add chicken and sausage to skillet and brown both lightly until they are opaque. Add the tomatoes and the wine. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 20 minutes. Season sauce mixture with basil, rosemary and salt and pepper to taste. Add cooked, drained pasta to the skillet mixture. Toss and serve.