Savory, soul-satisfying, slow-simmering chicken and dumplings, made quick and easy with cream of chicken soup and all-purpose baking mix.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 cup all-purpose baking mix
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken parts
- 2 (10.5 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups all-purpose baking mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
Heat shortening in a large skillet over medium-high heat. In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup baking mix, salt, paprika, and pepper. Coat chicken with mixture, and fry in shortening, turning until browned. Remove chicken to paper towels, and drain fat.
Wipe out skillet, and return to stove. Stir soup and milk together in skillet. Place chicken in pan, and heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover skillet, and simmer 45 minutes, turning chicken from time to time.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine 2 cups baking mix, milk, parsley, and poultry seasoning, stirring together until a soft dough forms. Once the chicken has cooked 45 minutes, drop the dumpling mixture by tablespoonfuls into the simmering gravy. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes; cover, and cook 10 minutes more, until dumplings expand.