This slow cooker recipe creates a wonderful, mild, sweet and spicy flavor and works best with frozen chicken. Serve over rice or couscous, or with crusty bread for dipping.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 (6 inch) smoked turkey sausage link, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup chopped dried apples
- 1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried chives
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of a slow cooker. They can still be frozen if you have those on hand. Layer the sausage, green pepper, onion, garlic, apples, and cranberries over the chicken. Sprinkle with parsley and chives. Pour the chicken stock over everything, and season with salt and pepper. Cover, and cook on Low for 8 to 9 hours.
If a thicker gravy is desired, turn the slow cooker to High during the last 30 minutes and stir in 2 teaspoons flour dissolved in 1/4 cup of water.