Pounded chicken breasts are sauteed with onions and garlic, then topped with a sauce of chicken broth, lime juice, tomato paste, rosemary, and shrimp.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half and trimmed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 ounces small, cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
Place chicken breasts on a cutting board, and pound thin with a mallet.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in onions and garlic. Place chicken in skillet and brown on both sides. Add 1 cup chicken broth, reduce heat to medium low; cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove skillet from heat.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Gradually stir in flour, stirring until smooth. Increase heat to medium, and cook briefly until thickened. Stir in milk, lime juice, and tomato paste; cook until it begins to thicken, about 25 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup chicken broth to thin sauce, and warm through. Remove from heat, and stir in rosemary and shrimp.
To serve, remove chicken, onions, and garlic to plates with a slotted spoon, and top with sauce.