In this vegetarian soup, garbanzo 's, chopped peppers and mushrooms are cooked in a onion, garlic and olive oil soup base with red pepper flakes, oregano, basil and a can of tomato sauce.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 5 button mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 4 cups water
In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the olive oil, onion, garlic, bell pepper, mushrooms, oregano, parsley, basil and red pepper flakes. Saute for about 5 minutes, or until onions are tender. Add the tomato sauce, chickpeas and water. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.