Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) and tomatoes are simmered in a delicious white wine sauce with feta cheese.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 1/3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, and stir in the onion, garlic, and oregano. Cook and stir about 10 minutes, until onions are tender.
Mix tomatoes into the skillet, and cook until heated through. Mix in wine, and continue cooking about 15 minutes, until thickened.
Stir garbanzo beans and feta cheese into the skillet, and cook 5 minutes, until the cheese has melted. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat, and allow to cool about 5 minutes before serving.