Cubed beef chuck roast braised with tomatoes, beer, green chilies, and spices. Serve with tortillas and rice. A firehouse favorite that is sure to become a favorite in your house, too!
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil for browning
- 5 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- flour for dredging
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
- 2 (7 ounce) cans diced green chilies
- 12 serrano chiles, finely chopped
- 2 small yellow onions, finely chopped
- 12 fluid ounces beer
- 20 fluid ounces water
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan over medium high heat. Dredge beef cubes in flour. Cook in hot oil until browned on all sides, reducing heat if necessary. Add tomatoes, green chilies, serrano chiles, onions, beer, water, cumin, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer for 2 hours. Add chopped cilantro, and simmer 1 hour longer.