A spicy and very flavorful chili made with ground beef, black beans, red wine, and sun-dried tomatoes.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion, minced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, lightly drained
- 7 sun-dried tomatoes, softened and chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 1 pinch dried sage
- 1 pinch white sugar
- 1 bay leaf
In a large Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Brown the ground beef until no longer pink. Drain most of the fat from the ground beef.
Push the ground beef to the sides of the pan and saute the onion and garlic in the middle until softened.
Pour in beef stock, red wine, and balsamic vinegar. Stir in tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, tomato paste and black beans. Mix thoroughly. Sprinkle in the cayenne pepper, chili powder, salt, pepper, oregano, sage and sugar, then add the bay leaf. Mix thoroughly.
Cover and simmer on lowest heat for 45 to 90 minutes.