Fresh and very filling, this salad could be served as a main meal.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
- 1 teaspoon teriyaki sauce
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cups chopped, cooked chicken breast meat
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced water chestnuts
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced green onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
Place the rice and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until water is absorbed, about 45 minutes. Set aside to cool.
To make the dressing, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, soy sauce, ginger, and teriyaki sauce in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, mix together the cooked rice and chicken. Stir in celery, water chestnuts, mushrooms, green onion, and red pepper. Mix with the dressing to coat. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. Toss gently before serving.