This is a crisp lettuce salad with a zippy sweet and sour dressing. Always a hit at a gathering, but doesn't store well. Very quick to prepare at the last minute.
INGREDIENTS (for 9 servings):
- 1 head lettuce
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken breast
- 1 (8 ounce) can chopped water chestnuts
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 (5 ounce) can chow mein noodles
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons vinegar
- 4 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, and poppy seeds, and set aside. Wash lettuce and tear into bite-sized pieces. To a large bowl, first add the lettuce, then the onions, water chestnuts, and chicken. Just before serving, top with the almonds, noodles and dressing, and toss lightly.