A sweet and sour dressing is the perfect thing for this very Asian cabbage salad. It mates perfectly with the crunchy ramen noodles, almonds and sesame seeds. Makes six servings.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 (3 ounce) package chicken flavored ramen noodles
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- 1/2 cup blanched slivered almonds
- 1 large head napa cabbage, shredded
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/8 cup white sugar
Crush noodles, place them in a medium skillet and brown in butter over medium heat. Add almonds and sesame seeds. Stir often to prevent burning. Add seasoning mix from noodles and cool. Toss in a large bowl with cabbage and onions.
Prepare the dressing by whisking together the vegetable oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil and sugar. Pour over salad, toss and serve.