Bright, crisp and spicy with crushed green peppercorns, fresh red chile pepper and garlic, these green beans will add lots of flavor and color to your meal. If you can't find Chinese yardlong or 'snake' beans, then regular green beans will do just fine.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 tablespoons green peppercorns, drained
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Chinese yardlong beans
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 small red chile pepper, seeded and chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons water
In a small bowl, using the bottom of a glass or jar, crush the peppercorns into a coarse pulp. Stir in the cilantro.
Heat oil in a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in beans, garlic, brown sugar, chile pepper, peppercorns and cilantro. Stir-fry for 45 seconds. Pour in the water and cover to steam for about 2 minutes. Serve immediately.