Fried uncooked rice adds a nutty crunch to this chicken and shrimp soup with bamboo shoots and water chestnuts.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 3 ounces baby shrimp
- 3 ounces skinless, boneless chicken pieces cut into chunks
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 ounce mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped water chestnuts
- 1/8 cup diced bamboo shoots
- 1/3 cup fresh green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sherry
- 2/3 cup uncooked white rice
Mix together the shrimp, chicken, egg, and cornstarch.
Heat 3 cups of the oil in wok. When it is hot, add shrimp and chicken mixture. Cook for 1/2 minute and drain.
Place above mixture in pot with the broth, mushroom, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, and green beans. Bring to a boil. Add salt and sherry. Return to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 cup of oil until it is hot. Add rice and brown quickly. Drain and add to soup. Serve and enjoy!
We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. The exact amount may vary depending on cook time and temperature, ingredient density, and the specific type of oil used.