This may look like a lot of ingredients, but it's really quick and easy... and so beautiful and tasty at the same time!
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 Thai chile, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (1/2 inch) piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon black bean sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons white soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 3/4 pound white fish fillets
- 1 (16 ounce) package tofu, drained and cubed
- 1 cup green onion, finely chopped
Bring about 1 1/2 inches of water to boil in a pot fitted with a steamer basket.
In a large bowl, stir together the chile, garlic, ginger, and black bean sauce. Stir in dark and white soy sauces, vegetable oil, sugar, and white pepper. In a small cup, mix together the cornstarch and water. Stir into the sauce. Cut fish fillets into thin strips, add to bowl, and coat well.
When water in steamer has reached a boil, carefully place the tofu cubes in a single layer in the basket, and steam, covered, for 2 minutes. Place the fish strips on top of the tofu; cover and steam for another 3 minutes.
Remove and garnish with chopped green onion. Serve with steamed white rice and stir-fried or steamed Asian vegetables.