This is not a sweet bread at all, but rather a savory loaf that makes a terrific breakfast or snack. Smear it with cream cheese or honey for added pleasure.
INGREDIENTS (for 2 servings):
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seed oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 3/4 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1 (.25 ounce) package instant yeast
- 6 cups bread flour
- 4 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
Combine flour, salt, yeast, sugar, cocoa, sunflower oil, and water in a large bowl. Stir everything with a wooden spoon until you have a soft dough.
Place the dough on a lightly floured surface. Knead for five minutes, until smooth and elastic.
Divide the dough in half, and roll each half into a ball. Place both on a baking sheet. Cut crisscross designs in the tops, and cover with a kitchen towel. Let rise until double in size.
Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 35 minutes.