These taste as good as they sound!
INGREDIENTS (for 9 servings):
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
Beat butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla and beat well. Add dry ingredients and stir until smooth.
Roll into 1-inch balls about the size of a walnut (larger if desired). Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
Drain cherries and reserve juice. Press center of each ball with thumb. Place a cherry in indentation.
In a saucepan, heat condensed milk and chocolate chips until chips are melted. Stir in 4 teaspoons of cherry juice. Spoon about 1 teaspoon of mixture over each cherry and spread to cover cherry. (More cherry juice may be added to keep frosting of spreading consistency.)
Bake for 10 minutes.