This is a great recipe that you can add different ingredients to that will make 4 different kind of eggs...all yummy. I always get tons of compliments when I make these.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 1/2 pounds confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter (optional)
- 1 cup flaked coconut (optional)
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (optional)
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate pieces
- 2 tablespoons shortening or vegetable oil (optional)
In a large bowl, mix together the butter, vanilla, and cream cheese. Stir in confectioners' sugar to make a workable dough. For best results, use your hands for mixing.
Divide the dough into four parts. Leave one of the parts plain. To the second part, mix in peanut butter. Mix coconut into the third part, and cocoa powder into the last part. Roll each type of dough into egg shapes, and place on a waxed paper lined cookie sheet. Refrigerate until hard, at least an hour.
Melt chocolate chips in a heat-proof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir occasionally until smooth. If the chocolate seems too thick for coating, stir in some of the shortening or oil until it thins. Dip the chilled candy eggs in chocolate, and return to the waxed paper lined sheet to set. Refrigerate for 1/2 hour to harden.