This light and airy pie gets its fluffy texture from the whipped egg whites and whipped cream folded into the chocolate mousse filling. This lovely concoction is spooned into a chocolate crust and topped with chocolate whipped cream flavored with a bit of
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 (9 inch) pie shell, baked
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Sprinkle the gelatin on top of 2 tablespoons water. Separate the eggs.
In a small saucepan, heat chocolate, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons water, and coffee; stir constantly until melted. Add softened gelatin to tha saucepan, and heat until completely dissolved. Remove pan from heat, and gradually beat in egg yolks. Return to pan to heat. Cook until mixture thickens slightly, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Cool slightly.
While chocolate mixture is cooling, beat egg whites to soft peaks. Gradually add 2 tablespoons sugar, and beat until stiff but not dry. Fold whipped egg whites into chocolate mixture. Whip 1/2 cup cream until stiff, and fold into chocolate mixture. Spoon into pie crust. Chill.
To Make Topping: Add cocoa and confectioners' sugar to 1 cup whipping cream. Chill mixture 30 minutes, then whip until stiff. Stir in almond extract and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Top the pie with this chocolate whipped cream. Chill several hours or overnight until set. Filling with be a little soft.