A tasty sweet relish made with an abundance of fresh vegetables.
INGREDIENTS (for 9 servings):
- 8 cups fresh green beans
- 1 large head cauliflower, separated into florets
- 3 cups fresh lima beans, shelled
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels
- 4 cups chopped onions
- 5 green bell peppers, chopped
- 8 cups green tomatoes, chopped
- 3 quarts cider vinegar
- 4 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons celery seed
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- 2 tablespoons ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add green beans, cauliflower, lima beans, and corn. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes or just until tender; drain. Return vegetables to pot, and mix in onions, bell peppers, and green tomatoes.
Heat vinegar in a saucepan until boiling. Season with salt, celery seed, mustard seed, ground mustard, and ground turmeric. Pour over vegetables in pot, and bring to a boil. Simmer 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Pour into 12 sterilized pint jars, and seal.