An heirloom recipe from my mother-in-law's recipe file.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped, peeled apple
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 pound candied pineapple
- 1/4 pound chopped candied orange peel
- 1/4 pound candied lemon peel
- 8 ounces dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 pound chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
Cream together butter, sugar, and eggs. Beat in flour, cocoa, and cinnamon, mace, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, and soda.
Meanwhile soak candied pineapple, orange peel, and lemon peel in bourbon.
Add apples, raisins, dates, pecans, and soaked fruits, and mix well.
On a greased cookie sheet spoon out half-dollar size cookies, spaced 1/2 inch apart.
In a preheated 350 degree (175 degrees C) oven, bake 12-15 minutes.