Cookies with currants, pecans, raisins, candied pineapple, citron, dates and spices.
INGREDIENTS (for 9 servings):
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon strong brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 pound pecan halves
- 1/4 cup candied cherries
- 1/4 pound candied pineapple, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 pound chopped candied citron
- 1/4 pound pitted dates
- 1/4 pound chopped candied orange peel
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat eggs until foamy, add to mixture. Sift flour with spices, cocoa and soda. Save out 1/2 cup of flour mixture. Add the rest of flour mixture to butter mixture. Stir in coffee.
Cut fruits into small slivers and dredge fruit and chopped pecans lightly in flour saved out for this. Add to fruit and the rest of flour to batter, mixing thoroughly.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (170 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
Drop by teaspoon onto cookie sheet. Do not place too close together. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Do not over-brown. Store cookies in jars.