Layers of deep-orange sweet potatoes, golden butternut squash, crunchy pecans and tender, crisp apples come alive with the flavors of vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg for the perfect side that's sure to become a new holiday tradition.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar, divided
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted and divided
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Gourmet Collection® Saigon Cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection® Ground Nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 golden delicious apples, peeled and thinly sliced
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook sweet potatoes in water in a large saucepan until tender, about 20 minutes; drain. Meanwhile, cook squash in another saucepan until tender, about 10 minutes; drain.
Combine 1/3 cup brown sugar, eggs, 2 tablespoons butter, vanilla, 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Reserve 1/4 cup mixture for squash.
In food processor, blend sweet potatoes with remaining egg mixture until smooth. Spread in greased 13x9-inch baking dish, or 3-quart casserole. Top with pecans.
In food processor, blend squash with reserved 1/4 cup egg mixture. Spread over pecan layer. Arrange apple slices on top of squash layer. Combine 1/3 cup brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle over apples. Drizzle 4 tablespoons melted butter over top. Bake 45-50 minutes, or until set in the center. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.