A great tasting appetizer. Use Creole-style mustard for the sauce if it is available.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 quarts vegetable oil for frying
- 10 ounces orange marmalade
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 3 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup beer
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails attached
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces unsweetened flaked coconut
Heat oil in a deep fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). In a small bowl, stir together marmalade, horseradish and mustard; set aside.
Combine 3/4 cup flour, baking powder, paprika, curry powder, salt and cayenne. Stir in beer.
Dredge shrimp in 1/4 cup flour, dip in beer batter and roll in coconut.
Fry shrimp in hot oil until golden on both sides. Drain briefly and serve with reserved dipping sauce.
We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. The exact amount may vary depending on cook time and temperature, ingredient density, and the specific type of oil used.