No need to slave over the stove to prepare a delicious jambalaya! Toss the chicken, sausage, shrimp, vegetables, and seasonings in the slow cooker, and forget about it until dinner time. All you need to do is prepare the rice and serve it up.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pound frozen cooked shrimp without tails
- 3 cups uncooked long grain white rice
- 6 cups water
In a slow cooker, mix the chicken, sausage, tomatoes with juice, onion, green bell pepper, celery, and broth. Season with oregano, parsley, Cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper, and thyme.
Cover, and cook 7 to 8 hours on Low, or 3 to 4 hours on High. Stir in the shrimp during the last 30 minutes of cook time.
In a large pot, bring the rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes. Serve the slow cooker mixture over the cooked rice.