This is a very tasty and easy bean salad made with four kinds of beans, red onion, and celery in a vinegar dressing. My friend next door gave it to me years ago.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) jar pimento peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can cut green beans
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can yellow wax beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can lima beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
In a large bowl, whisk together the white sugar, vinegar, and vegetable oil. Stir in the celery, green pepper, red onion and pimentos. Pour the green beans, wax beans, lima beans and kidney beans into a colander, and rinse under cold water. Let drain for a few minutes, then stir into the bowl with the rest of the salad. Store in a large jar in the refrigerator, and shake or turn occasionally for 1 day to marinate. If you do not have a sealed container, simply stir the salad every few hours. This keeps for about a week, but will be gone sooner.