This medley of beans is perfect for those who'll eat low-fat, low-cholesterol food only if it tastes really good. The peas and corn add crunch and color.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, oil, garlic, salt and pepper until blended. Pour over bean mixture; toss gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 176 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 358 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.© 2002 Reiman Media Group, Inc.